Pages

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Virginity - Ask Me

Ahhh... virginity! Believe me, we Akokite swaglords, talk about this, at least, once a week. Our discussions broach less and less the importance (or lack thereof) of a girl being a virgin. For the sake of formality, I shall talk just about the virginity of girls. Call it chauvinism, stereotyping, whatever you want... It's my blog, my thoughts; If you want an opinion unaffected by personal experiences or bias, go speak with a doctor.

Let me start with saying that I once thought strongly about virginity. I upheld that it would be a quality a girl would have before I would even consider marrying her. I couldn't bear the thought of sharing that treasure with anyone, pre- or post-marriage. 

During the time of our fathers, actors were modest, there were less sex scenes than there are now. Rather 'old-fashioned' morals were still existent. When I was 16, I discriminated against girls whom I suspected had given their cherry to guys. I just could not get why they would not wait to give it to the 'right guy'.

Selfishness, you think? Yeah, no one wants to share such sweet things with others. I still stick with not sharing;

Now that I and my fellow poor akokites are being bombarded with sexually explicit scenes, be it in Beyonce's music, Shakira's oh-so-sweet-and-sincere hips or in the movies, my opinion of the importance of virginity is changing somewhat.

On campus, I get to see different colours, shapes and sizes of jugs on a daily basis, thanks to less-than-modest UNILAG babes. I admire these, ahem, goods. What?! I'm your regular guy! Let's define sex. Americans tell us it's just one other benefit of being in a relationship with girls. In Nigerians, some agree with the Americans, others say it is meant for your marital counterpart and your marital counterpart alone. Where does the Akokite belong? Last year, I held the latter opinion. As I speak with you though, I'm thinking sex is special. It takes relationships to great heights. What relationships deserve this?

Losing your virginity or keeping it is your choice, girl. I won't think any differently of you, whether you are a virgin or not. Um, ok, maybe I will, but my point is if you came here wanting to know if you should give over your virginity, I can only tell you this. Every week, a girl gives up her virginity and can't take it back. It's a big decision to make. It all eventually gets down to doing what you want (Yeah right! I know you want to give in and have it). No, it's about doing what will be beneficial to you in future.

A man who loves you will respect you and treasure you, virgin or not. I put it to you, then- it's your call to make. Is virginity lack of opportunity or is it a gift to 'the one for you'?

The Akokite, yours truly, opines that virginity is what you make of it. I like girls who are virgins, they are eligible to be my girlfriends. I find teasing, non-virgins interesting, they are there for fun.


2 comments:

  1. virginity isn't something that is taken seriously anymore, what with an 'advancing world' and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup! not such a big deal anymore, but i'm still hoping i get to marry a virgin though!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog