Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Last Week In UNILAG

Good friends bail you out when you are in jail, but a true friend will sit in there with you

Hey, Akokites, UNILAG Lords and Ladies, a lot of things happened last week. I was ‘in the red’ midweek, was locked out of BTN class for being late, attended the last PHS practical, lost my calculator and my pencil got nabbed! Like I said, a lot happened last week.

“Friends bail you out when you are in jail, but a good friend sits in there with you”. I read this I-don’t-remember-where, and it made a lot of sense to me (not because I was jailed), but because I was in, forgive the language, financial shit last week. I haven’t yet decided if I spent too much or if my allowance had become too small. Having just N1000 in UBA Bank Account, and being the type that prefers to tough it out than ask for help (is proud the word?), I set about calling up debts (Hey, lending money to friends is a way of investing, by the way). Despite major belt-tightening (as if I wasn’t slim enough already), the cash recalled lasted just two days (I patronize restaurants, having little or no culinary skills). One of my friends whom I used to dine with didn’t seem to notice that I was in a bad way. They say “Help comes from the least expected places”. Well, I knew the truth of that when a casual friend, seeming to notice, subtly decided to help me by handing me N4000, claiming he would need it in two weeks and wanted to save it for then.

The moral of the story – People appreciate being genuinely asked “what’s up?” I know I do

Less of Facebook

Each time I’m online, I visit Facebook (although, I must confess I’m beginning to spend less time on it giving the excess triviality of my group of friends on Facebook). Now, I’m sure you’ve noticed that each time you logon to Facebook, you are asked “what’s on your mind?” I found out last two months that you don’t have to make sense. As opposed to making some comment about the state of Nigeria or the struggle it is sometimes to work hard or something else on your mind, you could simply tell us you are eating ‘edikaikon soup and eba’, singing in the bathroom, dancing on your bed, facebooking in church, sleeping… Seeing such comments daily wore on my tolerance and patience, and thus, I’ve reduced my facebooking time and allocated more time to, ahem, other things. Or maybe I need to change my friends?

Yakubisation

This term has been accepted by 103 Baku Men as an English Word. It all started when our countryman decided to make a name for himself, albeit in the wrong way. The story is that Yakubu was the only man before an unmanned post in a World Cup match against South Korea and he made history. See for yourself.

Good morning, class. We will be treating Yakubization – the latest entry in the Akokites’ English Dictionary.

Yakubise (verb) – (1) to mess up a very good chance (2) to screw up a major opportunity (3) to try and fail (4) (sports) to score like Yakubu

Yakubisation – the act of yakubising

Now, we waltzed out of the World Cup. Let’s give honour to whom honour is due. We thank you, Yakubu, for adding to our vocabulary and I thank you, Akokites, for taking the time to read my thoughts. I leave you with this – In whatever positive endeavour that you pursue, if you yakubise (3rd meaning), try, try, try again and you will succeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog