Pages

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Dealing With Phone Theft

Happy weekend, all! It's yours truly, The Akokite. It's been fun reading the posts made by others on our ThoughtPlanet. It's a pity that I won't see the blog through a 340x240 resolution screen. Yup! I lost my phone some days ago. My very first time of losing something so valuable, you know. It hurt a lot.

How did it happen? Well, on a Thursday night, a long lost friend contacted me and insisted that we have a chat through the night to catch up. It felt good to hear from her after such a long while. Well, we ended the chat around 4 am the next day. The moment it was over, I staggered sleepily to my room (I don't do night calls in my room), flopped onto the bed, covered my 'eru' and me, and slept off. I woke up around 6 pm to find my roommates in a not-so-good mood. The first thing I did was to reach for my 'teddy bear'. Helas! It was nowhere to be found. It was then that I learnt that more than 2 phones had been stolen from our room that morning. It turned out that my phone was among the kidnapped techies.

You know how, when something bad happens, we tend to be optimistic and try to convince ourselves that we can turn it around? With the belief and, er, resolution that my phone would not go like that, I, instead of joining my roommates and friends who were sharing stories about similar occurrences, I sped up to the cybercafe and Googled 'retrieve lost phones'.

My efforts yielded fruit. I read that my phone could be blocked, were I to give my service provider my IMEI Number. 'Oh! What glorious news'.

In all my excitement, I forgot that I was in Nigeria. My trip to MTN proved useless. They shamelessly told me that they could not help me block my phone! Same with Zain (they advised me to go to a Nokia Shop in Ikeja for that).

Well, it's been more than 5 days and I've reached the conclusion that my phone is gone and there is nothing I can do about it. I just retrieved my number today. I guess all I have to offer is, "If you lose your phone, share the pain with your friends and forget it". There's nothing else we can do, at least for now. This article, 'Dealing with Phone Theft', isn't really to offer you info on how to deal with phone theft, it's actually me looking for friends to share their similar past experiences with me. Sharing might make us feel better. God knows everything else I tried failed.

Hey, just in case you've got any suggestions as to how I can retrieve my phone or block it (I'm feeling rather ungenerous towards the phone thief), do let us know. Now, anymore thoughts about my phone will make me be in the mood for wickedness. I'm a Christian and I don't want that. The Akokite Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog